Wednesday 27 July 2011

Michelin awarded Dim Sum restuarant

Before I went to Hong Kong, I did my research for best food places. And found a dim sum restaurant owned by a man who used to be a head chef in a 5* hotel. Below is a picture of the restaurant, its called 'Add luck dim sum shop'.

Yes, no lie that is the one. You was probably expecting a classy restaurant if it's a Michelin awarded restaurant. lol But you know sometimes, its the small and hidden places that are good. All those people you see in the picture are actually waiting to get in. Waiting time was 2 hours, no lie but it was worth the wait though.

Ok, yes its the typical Har Gau (Prawn Dumplings) and Pork Cheurng Fun. The white pastry or whatever you call it lol are really thin so it doesn't feel like you're eating a mouthful of pastry but a mouthful of the fillings. I would rate the roast pork cheurng fun 3/5 because it had some coriander in it which I hate. The prawn dumplings 5/5.

These 'siu my' (pork dumplings- i think that's what they're called in English lol) actually have a whole prawn at the bottom in each of them and a bit of pork on top. Usually, in most restaurant they put a little bit of prawn and mix it with pork fat. I know sounds nasty huh? but it does taste nice though still lol.
I would rate these 4/5.


OMDs!! These pork bun were the best! Its topped with some sweet crust and filled with some juicy honey roast pork. MUST HAVE...I mean must EAT!! And of course I would give this 5/5..no 6/5 lol

There's another branch in Sham shui po, that one is better because its bigger and has some extra dishes. The quality of food is the same as the one in Mong Kok though. Again it is hidden, its not in a nice classy road.

Only the Sham shui po branch does this, swallow saliva and braised egg. The bits on the top is the swallow saliva, and no its not in a liquid form like pumped out from the bird for those who never heard it lol. You can buy them from those Chinese herbal shops in Hong Kong and you find them in a nest shape. A very expensive product you know, they can cost up to £1000. Back this dessert I had, I would rate it 3/5 because it had a wierd taste to it, tasted a little bit like bleach. This was kind of pricey, $45 which is about £5.


Glutinous Rice wrapped in bamboo leaves I think lol. It was very nice but wasn't that special. Not much different from other places. I would rate this 4/5.

I like how this place doesn't bombard you with 100s of dim sum. There's only about 16 to choose from and obviously its all the main dim sum with few extra bits. If you want to have some exclusive dim sum (ones that are not on the menu) you have to book a room in the Sum Shui Po branch in advance. I think they said you have to spend a minimum $1000. You can find them at:

Mong Kok Branch: Flat 8,G/F Phase 2, Tsui Yuen Mansion, 2-20 Kwong Wa Street. Tel: 2332 2896
Sham Shui Po Branch: G/F, 9-11 Fuk Wing Street. Tel: 2788 1226

No comments:

Post a Comment